Monday, April 03, 2006

How I Miss "Your Mother"


Mondays are hard. The first Monday after spring Daylight Saving Time is especially difficult. To help me get through the day, I kept in mind that when I was done with work, I would be able to relax at home with a loved one. You may be able to relate. Of course, in your case, that loved one is probably a person. I, on the other hand, am referring to my DVR.

In particular, I spent my low moments today reminding myself that I had a new episode of "How I Met Your Mother" to look forward to tonight. But when I got home, what did I see? "The New Adventures of Old Christine" in the slot usually reserved for Ted, Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin! And though it was an extremely pleasant surprise to see Hamish Linklater (an old friend from the short-lived hospital drama "Gideon's Crossing"), even he could not help me overcome my disappointment.

"How I Met Your Mother" really is a near-perfect sitcom — at least for me. The ensemble cast interacts naturally, and the breezy dialogue is somehow both fresh and familiar. Of course, the scenarios are sometimes ridiculous, but the show manages to be funny without feeling over the top. And their use of musical punctuation has been impeccable so far. The sweet opening strains of Pavement's "Spit on a Stranger" when Ted sought out Victoria at her bakery: emotional jackpot.

The only thing about the show that I just can't fathom: How is it possible that the actress who plays Robin never felt the need to adopt a stage name? Her name is Cobie Smulders, for heaven's sake!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

It is pretty close to the perfect sitcom. It has the elements that make great British sitcoms great - that is, characters and it's a serial, not just a string of disassociated stories.
Which is why it bugs me that the network throws in repeats. It disrupts the flow, and makes me feel like a goof when I plop down to watch and realize that I've seen it before.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home