Friday, October 27, 2006

This PSA brought to you by the CW


Though it pains me to remind loyal readers of this fact, I do watch "One Tree Hill." This probably makes me their only viewer out of high school. Which is why I'm spreading the word: In this week's episode, the CW has created the perfect public service announcement to stop kids from sharing personal information on the Internet.

The run-down: Peyton has been posting podcasts and vcasts about her life, including her experiences meeting her birth mother, then losing her birth mother to cancer. After finding out that she has a half-brother, Peyton gives him a call, and he doesn't want to talk to her. So she relates the story online and ends with a plea for her half-brother, Derek, to get in touch with her. Lo and behold, not too much later, a stranger shows up on her doorstep and says he's her brother. You can see where this is going.

But I'll spell it out for you anyway. The guy is not really her brother. He's P-S-Y-C-H-O. (Did you like how I literally spelled it out for you? I'm hilarious. That's why I have this blog. Anyway...)

Over the course of the next few episodes, fake Derek ingratiates himself with Peyton, and she's none the wiser. But in this week's eipsode, the truth comes out, and the viewer is treated to a truly terrifying segment during which fake Derek ambushes Peyton at her house (where he has cut the phone access), chases her around, literally drags her along the floor into her bedroom, and punches her in the face and otherwise physically manhandles her. When Peyton's friend, Lucas, arrives and tries to save her, fake Derek uses a taser gun on him until Lucas temporarily passes out! Eventually, fake Derek gets thrown out the window — only to disappear before the police can arrive and take him away, which means he's still out there (because apparently this episode wasn't frightening enough).

Perhaps you've seen the episode of "Degrassi: The Next Generation" in which Emma goes to meet an online predator. It was actually the pilot for the series, so I give them props for going so dark right away, but I've long felt that it wasn't scary enough to leave an impression on their audience. Now parents need look no further than "One Tree Hill." Show this thing to their kids, and they won't have to worry about their babies giving away too much information online. Of course, they'll have to tend to their children's nightmares, but that's only a natural byproduct of the best PSAs. I'll never forget one I saw when I was maybe 12, which featured scenes of people happily eating and drinking at a barbeque, followed by shots of bloody carnage after a drunk driving accident.

Anyway, if you want to check out the "One Tree Hill" segment in question, you can watch it on YouTube. Or start at the beginning of the episode here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexis Jacobs said...

I am a huge OTH fan. I am 31. So I guess there are two of us out of high school.

Love your blog BTW.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home